BOSTON ARTICLE: Advanced Cell Technology Starts Human Trials of Embryonic Stem Cells Under Strict FDA Supervision
www.InvestorStemCell.com
Donate
Like Tree36Likes
  • 13 Post By bigstem
  • 1 Post By Datsun 73 240Z
  • 2 Post By Superfeeed
  • 7 Post By Superfeeed
  • 3 Post By bigstem
  • 3 Post By saxxie
  • 3 Post By loychung
  • 2 Post By Therealdonald1
  • 2 Post By mzander74

Thread: BOSTON ARTICLE: Advanced Cell Technology Starts Human Trials of Embryonic Stem Cells Under Strict FDA Supervision

Experience
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    bigstem's Avatar Inactive Member
    Likes Given: 1052

BOSTON ARTICLE: Advanced Cell Technology Starts Human Trials of Embryonic Stem Cells Under Strict FDA Supervision

Advanced Cell Technology Starts Human Trials of Embryonic Stem Cells Under Strict FDA Supervision | Xconomy

Advanced Cell Technology Starts Human Trials of Embryonic Stem Cells Under Strict FDA Supervision
    Arlene Weintraub 7/20/11

On July 14, Advanced Cell Technology (ACT)—a long-struggling developer of therapies derived from human embryonic stem cells—started its first human trials, by treating two patients suffering from blinding eye diseases. The company’s chief scientific officer, Robert Lanza, was still on a high when reached by phone in his Marlborough, MA, office a few days later. “It’s vindication,” he says. “In the early days, we were called murderers. We almost went under a few times. This was not easy.”

That may be an understatement. Ever since human embryonic stem cells were first isolated 13 years ago, ACT (OTCBB: ACTC) has been laboring to capitalize on the cells’ talent for transforming themselves into any tissue in the body. Over the years, Lanza and his colleagues have been blamed for everything from overconfidence to unethical science—the latter coming from conservative politicians who wanted to ban such research because the cells are derived from unborn embryos. But ACT charged ahead, raising money from hedge funds and other risk-hungry investors, and concentrating on using embryonic stem cells to regenerate retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) cells, which form a tissue that protects the eye’s photoreceptors.

ACT was cleared by the FDA to test its RPE cells in two separate trials: one in patients suffering from Stargardt’s macular dystrophy and the other in those with dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Stargardt’s affects young people, and AMD strikes the elderly, but they are both marked by the degeneration of the RPE cell layer. And both are leading causes of blindness. ACT was the second company cleared by the FDA to test an embryonic stem cell-derived therapy, the first being Geron (NASDAQ: GERN), the Menlo Park, CA-based company that’s testing its cells in patients with spinal cord injuries.

ACT’s first two patients were treated at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and are now being watched for six weeks to ensure the cells don’t cause any dangerous side effects. Lanza explains that each trial will include 12 patients, and the doses will escalate over time. If no adverse events are observed in the first set of patients—who will receive the smallest dose of 50,000 RPE cells—the next set of patients will receive 100,000 cells. Then they’ll be observed, and so on, until the highest dose of 200,000 cells is reached.

Lanza says he was both intimidated and impressed by the FDA’s thorough review of ACT’s trial regimen. “They know as much as I do about embryonic stem cells,” he says. “They put us through all these hoops.” For example, ACT had to prove that it could deliver the cells through a fine-gauge needle without destroying them.

The cells ACT uses are differentiated, meaning they’ve already evolved into retinal cells. Still, the FDA instructed the company’s scientists to perform “spiking studies” to show in animals that nothing would go wrong if a few undifferentiated cells accidentally made it into the treatment. The reason for the agency’s concern, Lanza says, is that undifferentiated embryonic stem cells can turn into teratomas—a type of tumor. “We never got a teratoma” in the animal studies, Lanza says.

One advantage of working with eye cells, Lanza says, is that they can be easily observed with high-powered imaging tools. “We can see if there’s engraftment of the cells in the eye,” Lanza says. “We can see if anything adverse happens.” Although it’s too early to make any conclusions about the first two patients, the procedures, Lanza says, “couldn’t have gone more smoothly.”

ACT has reached this milestone with precious little financial resources. In 2005, ACT wanted to raise money through an initial public offering, but investment bankers were so antsy about embryonic stem cells that the company had to find another route onto the trading floor. So it reverse merged into a shell company that had once been a manufacturer of Hopi Indian dolls. From that less-than-glamorous Wall Street debut, ACT was able to take its new shares and raise $18 million. But the stock has taken a beating over the years, falling from a high of $7 in 2005 to just $0.18 today.

ACT is now surviving on about $13 million in cash, some of which was raised by selling preferred shares in private funding rounds. The company lost $54 million on just $725,044 in revenues from licensing fees in 2010.

The financial woes haven’t dampened Lanza’s spirits, though. Even though he won’t know until the end of the summer if ACT is cleared to move forward and treat more patients with RPE cells, he’s already dreaming of a day when the treatment will be able to be used as a sight-saver. “Our main goal now is to show the cells are safe,” Lanza says. “But ultimately we want to go to younger patients and prevent vision loss all together.”

Arlene Weintraub is the editor of Xconomy New York. She can be reached at aweintraub@xconomy.com and followed on Twitter @awjourn.
    Comments | Reprints | E-mail this article Email
    eigenman, DonV, mmeyrow and 10 others like this.

Experience
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Blog Entries
    Likes Given: 12
    This is great. Thanks for posting it.
    bigstem likes this.

Experience
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class1 year registeredOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Likes Given: 6592
    good post

Experience
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassCreated Blog entryTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries
    Likes Given: 4800
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun 73 240Z View Post
    This is great. Thanks for posting it.
    A Picture in ACT's case is worth 10billion Dollars/ combining optical coherence tomography (OCT) and fractional flow reserve (FFR) capabilities to receive CE Mark approval.

One advantage of working with eye cells, Lanza says, is that they can be easily observed with high-powered imaging tools. “We can see if there’s engraftment of the cells in the eye,” Lanza says. “We can see if anything adverse happens.” Although it’s too early to make any conclusions about the first two patients, the procedures, Lanza says, “couldn’t have gone more smoothly.”
    DMSOB and bigstem like this.
    Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the earth.
    Archimedes

Experience
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassCreated Blog entryTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries
    Likes Given: 4800
    Quote Originally Posted by ablidy View Post
    good post
    Even though he won’t know until the end of the summer if ACT is cleared to move forward and treat more patients with RPE cells, he’s already dreaming of a day when the treatment will be able to be used as a sight-saver. “Our main goal now is to show the cells are safe,” Lanza says. “But ultimately we want to go to younger patients and prevent vision loss all together.”

DNDN+HGSI X 10 = ACT if the cells attach.
    DMSOB, GMAN, k00ij and 4 others like this.
    Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the earth.
    Archimedes

Experience
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    bigstem's Avatar Inactive Member
    Likes Given: 1052
    Quote Originally Posted by superfeeed View Post
    even though he won’t know until the end of the summer if act is cleared to move forward and treat more patients with rpe cells, he’s already dreaming of a day when the treatment will be able to be used as a sight-saver. “our main goal now is to show the cells are safe,” lanza says. “but ultimately we want to go to younger patients and prevent vision loss all together.”

dndn+hgsi x 10 = act if the cells attach.
    (dndn + hgsi) x 10 = $618.50

I feel faint.
    GMAN, davea0828 and ACT4me like this.

Experience
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Likes Given: 4274
    This may be a stretch, but:
    "Robert Lanza was still on a high when reached by phone in his Marlborough, MA office." If she interviewed him after the day 3 or day 7 checkup, maybe he wasn't still "high" from the injection, but from the results.

Experience
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Likes Given: 11985
    As I mentioned on another thread:

Compared to primary cultured aged RPE,
    passaged cultured fetal RPE had more consistently
    uniform attachment to aged submacular human Bruch’s
    membrane, and the cells had somewhat healthier-appearing
    morphology 24 hours after seeding (eg, fewer rounded
    cells were present on Bruch’s membrane), independent of
    whether the cells were seeded onto native RPE basement
    membrane or the inner collagenous layer.

Therefore Lanza should have known if attachment occurred on the 15th!!!
    GMAN, BrackAttack and Mtn Man like this.

Experience
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Likes Given: 260
    The company’s chief scientific officer, Robert Lanza, was still on a high when reached by phone in his Marlborough, MA, office a few days later. “It’s vindication,” he says. “In the early days, we were called murderers. We almost went under a few times. This was not easy.”

I am not sure about you folks, but the above sentence to me seems to hint that we will have some success or "home run" especially considering the time frame that "reached by phone......a few days later" after first injection. To me, for Mr. Lanza to say "It's vindication" a few days later would mean he has witnessed some attachments to the BM (I am no scientist, just based on what has been talking about) within those few days!!!! If he is not sure about the success or not sure if it will work, do you think he will use the strong word "vindication!" of being “In the early days, we were called murderers."

Thoughts anyone?

Experience
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Therealdonald1's Avatar Affiliate Member
    Likes Given: 42
    I just emailed the author to see when the interview took place - will report back if I receive a response.
    Last edited by Therealdonald1; 07-20-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Experience
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Therealdonald1's Avatar Affiliate Member
    Likes Given: 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealdonald1 View Post
    I just emailed the author to see when the interview took place - will report back if I receive a response.
    I received a response, but she said she couldn't divulge more than was written in the article. I also asked if the quotes she used in the article were all from her personal interview with Dr Lanza and she said yes.
    stemdynasty and BrackAttack like this.

Experience
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Likes Given: 158
    She knows what you are trying to get it at hahahhaa. It was done afterwards otherwise why even worry about it hahahhaa. Good email Donald
    stemdynasty and BrackAttack like this.

Experience
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social3 months registeredTagger First Class1000 Experience Points
    ACT4me's Avatar Inactive Member
    Likes Given: 354
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstem View Post
    (dndn + hgsi) x 10 = $618.50

I feel faint.
    As the Church Lady once said... " Well Isn't that Special " Sold My HGSI that Mon A.m @ $9.67 Mutha F'er ..... That wont happen again !!!

Experience
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Likes Given: 158
    I doubt it would ever jump above 100, div checks would start

Experience
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocial1000 Experience PointsVeteran